Sunday 20 November 2016

Direction North

Slowly I'm going north, as I can't go further south :P 
The truth is, time is running, Christmas time is getting closer and I want to spend them with my kiwi family.
For the first bit to Queenstown and Kinlock Alan joined me. I've met him at Burt Munro Challenge and we spent some time together as we both ride GS1200SS. He borrowed it from a friend, so a chance to get two GS together is a rare sight. Can't miss that.


The famous Devil's Staircase - honestly riding "a decent" size bike in New Zealand is a blessing. If you have a chance, just do it.


So here is me and Alan. Alan had a ride of his lifetime, as it turned out later :P


Again pretty lucky with weather, although around Queestown you will see a very little rain. It all stays on the West side of Southern Alps. 

Enjoying the afternoon views at Kinlock.


Night turned out to be a bit more tricky. Heavy rain has come and there was a little flooding on the gravel road. A challenge, but GS can go everywhere as they say :P
It was probably around 15 km of gravel to get to Kinlock and the road was rebuild recently with quite big stones, so riding it wasn't much fun.
Car on the picture drove to the side of the road and got stuck......


I made "a trail" for Alan and he even followed. Was fun - for me at least.


In Queenstown we split and that the last time when we saw each other in New Zealand. I got a little job for 2 weeks at vinyeard in the area and spent every free day cruising around.
Another famous road - Crown Range - the Highest Main road in New Zealand. I did it few times in both directions and luckily with very little traffic on it. What a ride........... It's a must !


The sunset from the peak.......... I love you New Zealand.......


There was another trip to Dunedin for exploring few roads on the other coast.
Aotearoa will spoil you with this "oldies" standing by the side of the roads all other the country.


Time in central South Island went very fast and it was time to head north again. Head north for Christmas. First major stop - Mount Cook and Aoraki. The first thing which will blow your mind will be Lake Pukaki with it's "blue" colour. Feeded only with glacier water is one of its kind.


As you continue riding along the lake you will get closer and closer to the mountains. You will actually get really close to them and they are stunning.


And the Mount Cook it self will be above all the other mountains standing proudly. God, that place is so beatiful. 


I did continue my journey north ticking off famous South Island passes. Here at Arthur Pass.


Maybe someone can recognize this place.


It is from one of James Bond movies :)
I was choosing to ride roads, which I haven't tried before or the ones which I fall in love with, like Takaka hill which I did couple of times again on my way north :P

Here on Queen Charlotte Road, which  was the most windy, narrowest road which I ever rode. Just crazy. I really tried to go hard on it, but after 45 minutes I had to give up and just take it easy. Endless turns and you are lucky to put a 3rd gear. 


I didn't have enough time to explore more, but this place is unique. Quiet, remote, wild but still you can get there. You just need to try ;)


Picton again. Which can only means that my motorbike journey around South Island has finished. It has been absolutely stunning 2 months. Having the opportunity of riding those roads is like a blessing. Unforgetable experience. I have met many very kind people and fellow travelers. Got to know a bit more about the country it self and feel even stronger need for spending more time here.


North Island. I'm back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment