Friday 10 January 2014

Week summary

9.01.2013 Week summary
Time for a little summary of past week, the first one of travel and in India. Right now I am sitting on the small terrace on beach Palolem in Goa state. This is very relax and positive atmosphere place. Indians are more smily, very pleasant for turist as this is the only thing that they can make money with. I haven’t seen any industry, there are some plantations of spices and rice, but mainly this is all about “white tax”. They are using the opportunity to get as much as possible due to rich turists from western Europe, States or Russians. This makes it a bit more difficult for a normal guy from Eastern block with limited budget, but well without big problems you can make it here with some nice standard(the sound of waves and beach view is better then good accommodation).
The first impression about India, even if I have been only in Mumbai and Goa which are as I heard far away from real India is surprising and very positive. I was reading about beggars, Indian asking for everything to buy or sell-not being polite when you refuse, dirtiness and rubbish all over the place. Well, I must say that I am not agreeing exactly about all this. Yes, rubbish are everywhere, beggars are asking but not in the way that you would feel uncomfortable. Even Mumbai which has scared me at the first day, after some time there I started to kind of liking it. There is some order in this chaos there. I was very surprised with little guide tour of local journalist-photographer who I met on the street. Thanks to him I have Masjid district, ate on the street at his friends place, I got some history and cultural lesson. He spent few hours of his day, couple of rupees(He paid my ticket for train and food & drinks) and he didn’t ask for anything in return. Just randomly person which I have met on my way(hopefully more of those guys will show up on the way). Then travel by bus to Goa, seeing the city from the window and Tata coach experience with the fastest driver on the “highway” who is never scared of overtaking was exciting. Road is made of concrete and there are plenty of surprises on it, you should experience it because it is difficult to explain. I can tell that I was even able to fall a sleep(it was a night-sleeper bus) – maybe it was better not to watch it.
I am now in Goa, taking some time for my self and gathering energy for next weeks in buses and trains. Apart of prices and politic against white tourist(I need to get used to it, as it is going to be in whole Asia) I really like and enjoy the place. I’m sure that there are more beautiful beaches, less crowdy, cheaper etc, but the atmosphere and impression after noisy and dirty Mumbai is simply what I needed. I have time for my self, for thinking and realizing the new reality which I am going to participate for next couple of months.
What about the people here? If we talk about locals, they are always trying to sell you something, or offer help for some rupees. We, as white faces are treated ”specially” here and our prices are accordingly higher then for locals, and it depends how tough you can bargain, you will get closer or further to local price. I understand that still here everything is cheap for us and many people are saying, ok no problem, that’s costs like nothing compare to Europe, but we are not in Europe and I don’t like to feel cheated just because I have white face. Nothing to do, but don’t agree for everything what they are offering you. I haven’t seen many beautiful Indian(hindu I should say?) girls, the beauty is way different and I have impression that some of them are not taking care about them selfs. The girls with traditional dressing(Sari) are interesting, I actually like this way of dressing and highlighting the belonging to your regions/country.
India as country, I can’t say much, but it is huge and you need to get a lot of patience for transport. It took me 14 hours to cross 700km and then another 2 h with local bus for let’s say 45km. Everything is slower and just deal with it. There great landscapes, monuments, building but as such a big country it must be like that with places.
The hotels are everywhere by now and depends on your price range easily you can find something for your self, the only funny thing is that most often they are not using computer system, but have XXXXL size check-in books, so prepare at least 30 minutes for finishing registration at the new place every time.
What about me after one week, well I am still not realizing what is happening and how I got here. I am getting closer to new reality, but I am far from feeling comfortable at everyplace. By now I had luck that in each place I have met some Poles, so we could talk and exchange some point of views. I am not exactly alone thanks to that. I got a bit frustrated when I was living in small cell in Mumbai Hotel with only Indian neighbors which weren’t very talkative, but here I Goa I renew my hope for more positive experience. I think I will be able to say something more about feelings later, as it is too early to say anything. What I can say, is that I do like traveling J and I am almost closing in my budget of 20 USD per day, but I am aware that you can do it much cheaper with different food and accommodation, but as I am seeing it now, I want to enjoy with places not only travel, so it costs me a bit more.

Not much more to say, I will carry on and let’s see the results. Come to Goa, it is worth it, Mumbai is also ok, but don’t stay there long, be tough with bargaining, patient for people and situation, smile all the time and enjoy the smallest things, as this might be one-lifetime experience. 

2 comments:

  1. Fajnie! A my nieanglojęzyczni?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nie brakuje dokoła kogoś kto może Wam pomóc w tłumaczeniu :)

    ReplyDelete